J Korean Ophthalmol Soc > Volume 59(9); 2018 > Article
Journal of the Korean Ophthalmological Society 2018;59(9):803-809.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2018.59.9.803    Published online September 15, 2018.
Clinical Characteristics of Xanthelasma Palpebrarum and Clinical Effects of Upper Blepharoplasty with Local Flap Technique.
Sang Min Lee, Helen Lew
Department of Ophthalmology, CHA Bundang Medical Center, CHA University, Seongnam, Korea. eye@cha.ac.kr
눈꺼풀 황색판종의 임상 양상 및 국소피판술을 이용한 위눈꺼풀성형술의 임상적 효과
이상민⋅유혜린
차의과학대학교 분당차병원 안과학교실
Correspondence:  Helen Lew,
Email: eye@cha.ac.kr
Received: 24 May 2018   • Revised: 15 June 2018   • Accepted: 26 August 2018
Abstract
PURPOSE
To evaluate the clinical characteristics of xanthelasma palpebrarum as well as surgical results of upper blepharoplasty with a local flap technique. METHODS: We conducted a retrospective cross-sectional study including 12 patients who underwent removal of xanthelasma palpebrarum and upper blepharoplasty with the local flap technique from January 2010 to December 2017. RESULTS: A total of 18 eyelids of 12 patients were included in this study. The average age was 47.0 years and three patients (25.0%) were male and the other nine patients (75.0%) were female. There were seven patients (58.3%) on both sides of xanthelasma palpebrarum, and five patients (41.7%) on one side. There was hyperlipidemia in four patients (33.3%), hypertriglyceridemia in two patients (18.2%), and hyper-low density lipoproteinemia in two patients (18.2%). Two patients had recurrence and the same surgery was performed. There was no postoperative complication. All patients were satisfied except for asymmetry in the postoperative end, and overall postoperative satisfaction was 83.3% (10/12 patients). CONCLUSIONS: Xanthelasma palpebrarum often develops in both upper eyelids in middle-aged or older patients. Upper blepharoplasty with a local flap technique for the treatment of xanthelasma palpebrarum is an effective treatment for patients, especially in cases of ptosis or blepharochalasis. However, it should be noted that asymmetry of eyelids may occur after the surgery when surgery is performed on only one side.
Key Words: Local flap technique;Upper blepharoplasty;Xanthelasma;Xanthelasma palpebrarum


ABOUT
BROWSE ARTICLES
EDITORIAL POLICY
FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Editorial Office
SKY 1004 Building #701
50-1 Jungnim-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul 04508, Korea
Tel: +82-2-583-6520    Fax: +82-2-583-6521    E-mail: kos08@ophthalmology.org                

Copyright © 2022 by Korean Ophthalmological Society.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next